Monday, November 17, 2008

Patience has never been my virtue...

Hi all! It's just soooo slllooooowwww..... I told Peter this weekend about how difficult it is for me to wait for bureaucracies to go through the motions and feel so powerless to do anything about it. He chuckled when I said I actually have pain inside me from feeling so impatient.

So our home study is done and we are praying they send it, our I600A application, and money to the Department of Homeland Security tomorrow so that we can get approval to seek to adopt a foreign child. We are virtually done with the dossier of papers that will be sent to Ethiopia after we get US approval. Our little Williamsburg police department has been amazingly helpful in writing up clearances for us, contrary to the experiences of our friends who live in other small towns nearby. Yesterday Peter photographed our house while I prepared our financial statement for the dossier. Ugh, I didn't realize how bad our retirement funds got hit this year. My personal rate of return on my 403b was -41% this year (yeah, that's a negative sign). I can't think about that now, I'll think about that tomorrow...

To celebrate his 40th birthday, Peter wanted to get road bicycles to encourage our ever increasing riding habits. We've been doing long-distance rides on his mountain bike and my commuter bike, and apparently having lean and sleek road bikes will be more fun (he tells me). We both got used bikes...he got a Pinarello Galileo at the local bike shop and I got a Trek Madone 5.2 via eBay. Peter rode his new bike in the basement for an hour last night (on a windtrainer) and mine is being assembled at the bike shop this week. Now if we could only find out where all those Tour de France guys get their performance enhancing drugs... :-) (Just kidding Dept. of Homeland Security!)

By the way, here is a picture from Peter's party....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30184636&l=36f20&id=1081720365

No comments:

Post a Comment